Tuesday 11 February 2014

Back for Good!!

It’s taken me a while to write-up my first ever blog but the persistence of one of our illustrious elder statesmen on a social media website has finally made me take the leap. I apologise for the ramblings and it’s possible that there are 2 blogs disguised as one but hey ho! 
In September, after a disastrous 2013 VLM and a persistent injury, I took a long hard look at my running diary and came to 3 conclusions:


1)      I had to train smarter. For some time I had been going through the motions and had to agree with Paul Weller’s assessment that ‘my running life was in a rut’. I needed to re-assess instead of churning out the mile after mile at a repetitive speed. At this time, I discovered the Julian Goater book, ‘How to run faster’ which made perfect sense and immediately changed the way I trained and recovered. 


2)      I had to race more. I completed 8 races in 2013 and a similar number in 2012. I am competitive and running came into my life to fill a competitive void once I’d finally hung my football boots up. I was missing the cut and thrust of competition, pushing and testing myself against others.   


3)      I had to get out on the fells. Most of my miles and the limited number of races have been on the roads or trails with my last fell race being Herod Farm in 2012. I love being in the hills but it is a different kind of running. To make me a more complete runner, I had to commit and re-learn the art of hill running. 


I trained hard and smarter through the back end of 2013 and the New Year gave me the perfect opportunity to put my plan into action. Again I will offer an apology for the lack of detail in my race reports. People have often said to me that they shouted to me / blasted their horn at me when I was running around Glossop and that I completely ignored them. They are talking to the man who ran within ½ a yard of his wife and daughters on the High Street and didn’t recognise or acknowledge them. The truth is that I get into a zone or bubble and although aware of my vicinity (& traffic!) I don’t take in much detail.
 


Hit the Trail 05/01/14


Billed as a fast 5 mile trail race around Reddish Vale, I though it to be the perfect start to the year. After arriving at the pub / race HQ and collecting my number, there was chance to catch up with the GDH crew who had arrived in good numbers supporting the first club championship race of the year. There looked to be a good competitive turnout from other clubs (ECH in particular) but my mind was on bagging points for the GDH champs. I knew Chris Jackson was going well, Neil ‘Basil’ McGraw can be a threat on his day, Charlie is no slouch and that Caity had the potential to outgun all of us. It was going to be a good battle. After a quick warm-up, the usual banter started to kick in and the excuses for a possible poor run flowed thick and fast. 


The usual shambolic start ensued with Howard Oldham (ECH) setting off at a blistering pace along relatively flat trail. It suited me as I do tend to start off quickly and I was settling into my pace and couldn’t see any blue and orange in front of me, a good sign. The trail then twists uphill and all I remember is a blur as Chris blasted past me, putting a good 10 yards between us. Thankfully, it flattens quickly and I managed to make the effort to catch and pass Chris.  My racing bubble must have formed at this point and I don’t have much memory of anything other than Kirsty and her mum cheering us on and ringing bells (I think?), a twisty and slippery almost cross country –like course and convincing myself that  I could hear Chris breathing down my neck. I don’t look back in races, I find it counter-productive, but having him in my head drove me on.


The race finished on a slight uphill and I was relieved that no GDH had passed me. 30 points on the board, 8th place overall and a good time recorded. Other Harriers came in and it was good to be part of the post mortem again particularly the McGraw – Hillier vet 65 battle which was relived and one that I draw inspiration from.  Judging from the comments, most enjoyed the race and the personal challenges it posed and it was a good choice for the championships. 


I waited around for the prize-giving as most of the Harriers shot off to Zoe’s for cakes and refreshments. Team GDH won various prizes but special mention most go to the all-conquering ladies who bagged a bootful of wine!


 


Results are on the website.
 


Lambs Longer Leg 19/01/14


Having done this a few years ago, I knew it was a short, fast but tough race, a perfect re-introduction into fell running. Entry was a convoluted affair via signing up to a yahoo website but managed it ok. Race HQ was the Lamb Inn and I arrived there to meet up with some of the GDH runners and supporters (Carl & Beryl). It was a pleasure to meet up with Nick Ham, a new addition to the team ranks. 


A quick change saw me donning a brand new pair of bright orange inov-8  x-talon 190’s, which attracted the odd comment! As a side issue, the company I work for are doing some development with inov-8 and I was ‘testing’ these shoes & the protective coating as part of the project. 
 


After a quick warm-up and jog to the start, the race brief was given including the very bizarre statement that in places it was very wet and slippy, so walk in these areas. Yeh right…..!!! 3-2-1 the race was off and I tucked in behind Chris on the uphill start. Feeling good, I pushed hard and overtook Chris before the first descent. Down the hill including  a bit of a tumble I was feeling ok. I think I glimpsed Nev and John but not too sure. Contour around a hill and Chris blitzed past me. Then a bloody big hill and the wheels came off! Chris opened up a big gap, Caity steamed past as did numerous other runners. Hands on knees, pump those legs,  stagger to the top to be greeted by Nev with something along the lines of ‘get a move on, you’re at the top, this is your sort of running now so pull back a few places’. It was what I needed and I got into a rhythm and took back about 4 places before finishing back at the pub. Chris and Caity were already back and is the custom were cheering runners coming through the funnel. Ali was cheering at some point and Rod was helping with the finish. Other GDH, some that I have not met, came in all at a great pace and all with smiles on their faces. 


I managed a quick chat with a few people including Anthony, who I’d not met before. Proves it’s a small world, it turns out his wife was formerly a Crossman!! Unfortunately, I couldn’t stay for the prizes but really pleased for the GDH who won something, particularly the rocket that is Caity. 


On reflection, I’m pleased with my return to the fells and managed to knock 1 minute or so off my previous time (31;18 / 2oth overall). There’s obviously more room for improvement, especially on the hill ascents, but that will come.
 
Results are on the website


 
1 month into 2014, training is going well, 2 races under the belt and I’m enjoying running again. It’s good to be back!!

1 comment:

  1. Cheers Steve! Thanks for sharing. You also scored 30 pts towards the new age-grade club champs also!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.