Saturday 5 January 2013

Glossop – Marple Sprint Triathlon dress-rehearsal

Credit for this article should go to Obi. On this occasion I am merely a surrogate blogger refusing any possible royalties:-)
Glossop – Marple Sprint Triathlon dress-rehearsal (Sat 5th Jan 2013):

800m swim, 7.5 mile bike ride, 5km Parkrun, 7.5 mile bike ride

By Obi-wan-sick-obe

The idea of a Sprint-style Triathlon from Glossop involving a Saturday morning Parkrun was hatched on New Year’s Day as Neil, Nev, JohnS, Malc and I were driving over Holme Moss back into Longdendale after visiting the Huddersfield NYD Parkrun. Actually, we were talking about what I might put on for my imminent 100th Parkrun and what Neil might put on for his imminent 40th birthday (not coincident I hasten to add). It was after I had dropped the lads off in Hadfield that I thought of the idea of a triathlon-style event and I texted Neil to see what he thought. His response was positive.

Today’s dress rehearsal was however, completely impromptu. I currently have a 10-day free trial pass for the Glossop Leisure Centre and Pool (courtesy of Nev) and on Friday night I had the idea of having a swim on Saturday morning before driving to Marple Parkrun. I contacted John S to see if he wanted a lift to Marple. He replied that he was thinking of cycling over anyway. So, I said, since I was thinking of swimming at 7.30, why didn’t we swim-bike-run it then! In fine fashion John rose to the challenge and we agreed to meet at Glossop Pool at 7.30 am on Saturday morning with bikes.

This is a potted summary of the morning’s dress-rehearsal event:

7:15        I drove over to Glossop Pool with the bike (MTB) in the back of the car. Met up with John.

7:30        Arrived Glossop Pool just as they opened for lane swimming, completed 32 lengths (800m) swim.

8:00        10 minute transition including a mug of soup from soup-flask (made earlier).

8:15        Through Glossop on the bikes to road to Marple Bridge, ~7.5 miles.

                (Me on my 20 year old MTB struggling to match John’s pace on his road bike)

8:53        Arrived at the start of the Marple Parkrun, 7 minute rest / transition.

9:00        Ran the Marple 5km Parkrun – very muddy underfoot but bright and mild.

9:45        Long transition (1 hour) over breakfast at Libby’s Bakery / Restaurant in Marple Bridge

10:45     Set off back up the hill on the bike to Glossop, ~7.5 miles

11:15     Arrive back at Glossop Pool, to pick up car.

A thoroughly enjoyable outing and definitely one for me to consider repeating for my 100th Parkrun, hopefully pre-planned and with lots more of you in tow. Today was my 98th Parkrun so it won’t be long now – I better get planning.

A big thank-you to Andrea M for looking after our day-bags at Marple Parkrun.

Obi-wan-sick-obe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.